Head of Hardware
|Department:||Global Service Delivery|
|Location:||UK - Norwich Head Office|
As the Head of Hardware, you will be responsible for the managing and delivery of non-functional strategy and support functional delivery which requires a strong emphasis on technical approach and delivery. You will own the development of the hardware products from cradle to grave. You will listen to voice of the customer and use data gathered from outside and within the business to continuously innovate to improve the products to deliver class leading hardware and peripherals to our customer base. You will work with 3rd party suppliers and manufacturers, internal teams and customers to perfect the products, iron out faults and reduce returns and complaints. You will constantly drive to develop the best products in the industry.
- You’ll be the recognised task manager of your product and responsible for the day to day planning and focus of your team’s work.
- Ensuring that performance is both measured, celebrated and addressed as applicable in your team(s)
- Responsible for the day to day planning and focus of the team’s works.
- Promoter in effective use of internal systems (xx,xx and xx)
- Leverage new technology to automate processes wherever possible.
- Be able to advise and understand what skills, roles, technologies and processes we are missing.
- Living the values.
- Support your team(s) in the effective delivery of working, high quality software to our customers and internal users.
- Responsible to own the backlog for the Non-Functional components of the epos now framework. Working with the architects to manage any technical debt and map delivery of the technical elements into the roadmap while engaging with the wider product team.
- Own the management of your project backlog and perform daily management of its contents including
- Triaging of new issues
- Reordering and replanning to reflect changes in business demand * Ensure that work is delivered to internal/external customers when required and plan accordingly the work in your backlog to meet tight deadlines
- Encouraging an approach of continuous improvement within your team(s) and allow time for both personal development and experimentation to find better ways of working within your plans
- Demonstrate excellent management of your team(s) through strategic planning and providing a vision the team(s) can get behind in order to motivate them to deliver exceptional results
- Experience of working in Cloud Platform with strong hands-on experience of cloud-related technologies, specifically AWS (Amazon Web Services)
- Strong knowledge of operating systems (Windows Server and Linux)
- Experience in Containerization & Serverless application deployment & development (Docker, Kubernetes, AWS Lambda etc)
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (CloudFormation, Terraform etc.)
- Experience with SQL and database technologies
- You’ll have a deep understanding of agile principles and will use this knowledge to drive in process improvement activity alongside the project work.
- You’ll be entirely comfortable presenting with confidence to your team on the work that's required and how this fits into the ‘bigger picture’ the team are working towards.
- You’ll be comfortable with building user stories from feature requests into your team and backlog and will adopt an approach of chunking up deliverables into small stories wherever possible which still contain the maximum value.
- You’ll be able to explain and train others in agile methodologies including (But not limited to) SCRUM and Kanban.
- You’ll have a good technical understanding of methods that support agile techniques such as TDD/BDD, pair programming, XP, RAD, DSDM and the tooling/practices related to them (Such as Gherkin/Cucumber) and iterative development processes
- You’ll have an excellent knowledge of tooling related to agile including Jira, VSTS, Rally, VersionOne and RACE.
- Support development of the product vision, objectives and product roadmap
- Undertake and communicate the results of technical analysis in a way that ensures there is clarity and sign-off on requirements and specifications
- Ownership of product design, specification and outsourced manufacture
- Delivery of hardware from conceptual understanding to finished product and handover to BAU
- Design and document minimum hardware specifications
- Ensure Product range is refreshed at least annually
- Accountability for quality of products
- Work with the software team to ensure compatibility with software products as well as third party integrations
- Design and lead quality assessments and testing of hardware developments and third party hardware
- Achieve best value on product manufacture and sourcing
Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC):
- Driving in process and product improvement activity alongside the project work.
- Create product specifications, user stories use cases etc to drive workload of software development team
- Building user stories from feature requests into your team and backlog and will adopt an approach of chunking up deliverables into small stories.
- Compile concise estimates and indicative costs from various technical and non technical sources, often to a tight deadline.
The right person for this role will have:
- Seen by peers and leaders within the department as demonstrating role model behaviors consistently and over extended periods of time.
- High emotional intelligence and able to be effective at working with a diverse team
- Ability to deal with difficult situations in a calm and positive way
- Exceptional stakeholder management and communication
- Exceptional digital product knowledge
- Solid knowledge of user experience
- Formal certification as a certified product owner
- Experience of working with agile methodologies